The Sacramental Catechist
The Art of Eucharistic Catechesis
The McGrath Institute for Church Life invites leaders in Catechesis of the Good Shepherd, parish catechesis, and Catholic educators to the Church Life Summer Institute 2018 symposium, "The Sacramental Catechist."
These study days will focus on the renewal of liturgical and sacramental catechesis in the parish, diocese, school, and family. Using the theological and methodological insights of Sofia Cavalletti, we will think about sacramental pedagogy for the 21st century.
We will address the following questions:
- How might a Eucharistic approach to catechesis, drawn from the insights of Sofia Cavalletti, heal the modern imagination?
- What is the relationship between the signs of the Scriptures and the Eucharist?
- What is the role of Eucharistic architecture and art in forming the imagination?
- What is the pedagogy of the Eucharistic Prayer? What are implications for catechesis?
- What new "signs" might Hispanic Catholicism be presenting for the nourishment of our Eucharistic imaginations? What are the implications of these signs for catechetical pedagogy?
- How might Catechesis of the Good Shepherd renew the Eucharistic life of the entire parish?
- What does it mean to "live a Eucharistic life" in the world today? How do we become a sign of divine love?
Every participant in "The Sacramental Catechist" will receive a formation grounded in the liturgy, as well as a series of pedagogical techiques to use within various catechetical settings or in the classroom.
Workshops will be given by the following faculty and practicioners:
- Timothy P. O'Malley, Academic Director, Notre Dame Center for Liturgy
- Anthony Pagliarini, Visiting Assistant Professional Specialist, University of Notre Dame
- Dianne Phillips, Art Historian, University of Notre Dame
- Petroc Willey, Professor of Theology, Franciscan University of Steubenville
- Kimberly Belcher, Assistant Professor, University of Notre Dame
- Medi Volpe Ayres, Theologian and Catechist, Durham University
- Susan Reynolds, Doctoral Candidate at Boston College
- Denis McNamara, Associate Director of The Liturgical Institute, Mundelein Seminary
The Church Life Summer Institute symposium "The Sacramental Catechist" runs from the evening of June 25, 2017 until noon on June 29, 2018.
- Early registration (before April 27th): $275.00
- Regular registration (between April 28th and May 28th): $310.00
- Late registration (May 29th and after): $350.00
To register for the Church Life Summer Institute symposium "The Sacramental Catechist," click here.